Our aim is to improve the lives of those affected by Gastro-Intestinal and Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary cancers
BRIGHT funds ongoing research into improving treatment options and outcomes for patients and through the purchase of new equipment for a whole range of GI and HPB cancer treatments, including surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, radiotherapy and other advanced treatments.
BRIGHT supports the clinical and research work of cancer specialists at St Luke’s Cancer Centre and the Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) Surgery Unit, both based at the Royal Surrey County Hospital (RSCH) in Guildford.
BRIGHT was founded in 1997 as Dr Topham’s Research Fund and carried out vital research and new treatment options for GI cancer patients. In 2018 Trustees of BRIGHT agreed to merge with the Liver Cancer Surgery Appeal (LCSA) to create a single, enlarged charity under the banner of BRIGHT. The LCSA was founded in 1997 by Professor Nariman Karanjia, Consultant HPB Surgeon, to fund equipment and research into the causes and treatment of HPB cancers.
The merging of these two charities has enabled BRIGHT to build a united organisation working to create brighter futures for patients with both GI and HPB cancers. Working together, BRIGHT can share resources, skills and expertise to help advance research and improve treatment options for these cancers.
Why do BRIGHT support
GI and HPB Cancers?
As our statistics have shown, there are many people diagnosed with GI and HPB cancers every year.
What we know is that cancers of the GI tract often spread through the body. This spread is often referred to as ‘metastatic’ or ‘secondary’ cancer. When cancer cells break away from the primary tumour in the GI tract (cancer starting in the GI tract), they can travel around in the blood stream or in lymph fluid.
We know that it is common for GI cancers and in particular colon and rectal cancer to spread to the liver. This is because blood from the intestines drains directly through the liver and cancer cells seed into the liver.
What are Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancers?
Gastrointestinal (GI) cancer is a term for the group of cancers that affect the digestive system. This includes:
- Oesophageal cancer
- Stomach (gastric) cancer
- Small intestine cancer
- GI neuroendocrine tumours
- Bowel (colorectal) cancer
- Anal cancer
Bowel (colorectal) cancer is the fourth most common cancer in the UK. There are around 41,700 new bowel cancer cases in the UK every year, that’s more than 110 every day.
What are Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) Cancers?
Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) cancer is a term for the group of cancers that affect the liver, pancreas and biliary system. These include:
- Primary liver cancer (cancer that starts in the liver)
- Secondary liver cancer (metastatic cancer; cancer which started in another part of the body and has spread to the liver)
- Pancreatic cancer
- Bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
- GI neuroendocrine tumours
- Gall bladder cancer
At least a third of patients who develop bowel (colorectal) cancer go on to develop secondary liver cancer. This means that each day, 40 people somewhere in the UK will be diagnosed with secondary liver cancer arising from the large intestine.
Pancreatic cancer is the 11th most common cancer in the UK, accounting for 3% of all new cancer cases. There are around 9,800 new pancreatic cancer cases in the UK every year, that’s 27 every day. Approximately 80% of patients are inoperable at presentation. Of the remaining 20% only a quarter (i.e. 5% of the total) will be long-term survivors.
Meet Our Trustees
Mr Andrew Baker, Chair
Andrew joined LCSA as a Trustee and Treasurer in September 2016 and with the merger with BRIGHT in 2019 he became Chair of the combined charity.
Dr Tony Dhillon
Tony is a Consultant Medical Oncologist at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford. He specialises in colorectal, pancreatic, liver and gallbladder/bile duct cancers.
Professor Nariman Karanjia
Nariman trained in General Surgery on the South West Thames surgical rotation and was appointed Consultant Surgeon in 1994 to the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford.
Judith qualified as nurse in 1965 at St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington going on to specialise in early pioneering Renal Transplants.
Dr Alex Stewart
Dr Alex Stewart developed an initial interest in oncology at the Royal Marsden Hospital working on primary prevention of breast cancer studies in the Professorial unit.
Dr Sharadah Essapen
Dr Essapen specialises in the treatment of gastrointestinal and gynaecological cancers, using both radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
Dr Alex Horton
Dr Alex Horton qualified from UCL in 2000 with MBBS and Bsc Pharmacology (1st class honours). He undertook training in radiology at George’s, London.
Meet Our Committee